Friday, September 5, 2008

My first day

Well, I made it through my first day. I must say, the people are very nice. I had been told that if you have questions, look for someone under 30 and ask, as they are more likely to speak english and be helpful. This is only based on Vienna thus far, so not an objective judgement, but I totally disagree with that advice. The young people aren't rude, just very abrupt and they let me know I'm wasting their time. The older generation, however, love to take the time to show you where to go and make sure you have everything you're looking for. The language barrier is HUGE, but they are the sweetest people!

I had my first dinner last night, which I was so excited for after eating 3 straight meals in a row on an airplane. I found a quaint little restaurant where I could sit outside and enjoy the awesome weather. For any calories I burned yesterday walking, I more than made up for it in this meal. If you hate pork, skip to the next paragraph because this will gross you out. It was called Cordon Bleu, but I've never experienced Cordon Bleu like this. It was a LARGE piece of pork, folded in half and stuffed with swiss cheese and ham, then the whole thing was deep fried. It was seriously the size of an elephant ear at a fair. Oh yeah, it came with fries. And you guessed right...I ate every single bite...washed down with 3 glorious beers.

After 12 hours of sleep and a nice balanced breakfast, I just checked out of my hotel and am getting ready to explore the streets of Vienna. I only have about 4 hours until I need to check into my boat ride, so it will be a whirlwind tour. I think my first stop is a cup of coffee and some people watching.

Enjoy your day! If you're working, so sorry to hear...this whole unemployed thing is really doing wonders for my outlook on life Ö (I can't find the keys to make a smiley face, so let's assign that letter as one). Miss you all, I'll be in touch!

7 comments:

Suzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

That sounds like a yummy meal you had--I felt like I was having a heart attack as you described it--must've been good! :)

Mom said...

Jennifer,
So glad you got a good night sleep.I can't wait to hear about your boat ride down the danube river.Be Safe Sunshine. Love, MOM

Soul Blogger said...

I want some pork...actually no I don't. I'm glad things are good so far. We'll have to meet up soon!

By the way, thanks for letting me stay at your place! And I hope you like Clearasil Face Wash!

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed hearing all about your first day in Vienna. Aunt betty and Uncle Bob DeFouw

Anonymous said...

I talked to Dad and heard you made it to Slovakia!! I'm so glad to hear you are doing well!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! Pork!